Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Counter Strike Source & Zombie gameservers' started by Rob^, Dec 15, 2010.

1. SS-Doomtrooper

SS-Doomtrooper UK sockets suck

Last weekend. If you read our posts you would have realized we aren't that inactive.

The community isn't just CSS by the way, a community is much more than just CSS server #1. It's great though that you, as admin, respond though. I think more should get involved and show some care. There was some talk about an own server (stepping away from i3d), what's the status on that?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  2. MubbelUffel

MubbelUffel When in doubt, mumble. Gameserver Admin

We haven't used a server from i3D for 6 months now, we're paying for our current servers.

3. MrMuesli

MrMuesli Active Member

I should continue mapping for the I3D xmas event, but instead i am reading all this drama going on here.
    And I like it ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Don´t be that harsh. There are just a few things necessary to get "CSS I3D" back on tracks.
    I think the following (little) adjustments will solve most of the current problems:

More transparency:

Stop making eveything a secret. If you had a discussion about mapper vip or the stage map problem, let the communtiy know about it.
    Since you are always silent about these discussions, allegations like "lazy" or "useless admins are doing nothing the whole day" are understandable from the community-side.

Get additional Tech Admins:

Zuff and Niv are surely great tech admins. -- BUT -- Most of the time they are too busy and just don´t have the time to update Server#1 properly.
    Don´t waste time and make a announcement about Tech Admin applications.
    Getting a own Tech Admin for each server could also be an option.

Get rid of "inactive", "not appreciated" or "useless" Admins and change the way new Admins are picked up.

Let the community vote about kicking Admins, aswell as picking new Admins up.
    Such a community vote should count 60%. The other 40% should be voted by the Admin Team
    As result most of the admins will take their responsibility more serious, because they don´t want to loose their admin status.(---> community vote)

Introduce a VIP System on your servers:

A VIP System is needed, which will count play time and will reward players with skins or other small gifts.(Example: Watermelone Grenades)
    Such a system is going to improve player numbers, aswell as player`s motviation.

Community Leader:

Introduce a Community leader (a person who gets voted by the community).
    The Community leader will get access to the admin forum and can inform players about ongoing discussions or changes.(of couse not every discussion)
    He will also inform the admin team about problems or grievances players currently have.

The current Admin Team is like Austrian/European politics:

5000 conferences and discussions, but 0 results...

-- All these changes are easy to execute and don´t need 50 discussion. --

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
    M 4 R T 1 N, Yarizuo, Daedra and 5 others like this.
  4. SS-Doomtrooper

SS-Doomtrooper UK sockets suck

Good. So why is it that metro is still talking about the endless i3d staff talk when someone requests a console line to be colored, and nobody corrects him? Really, that's the kickoff of this complete discussion, and nobody came up with a sane answer towards the _community_. If you haven't used an i3d server, is that part of why everyone is so foccused on #1 instead of trying to get a community going with multiple active servers? Because all the CSS player count talk doesn't really impress me, I think there's multiple mods which could be succesfull if executed as a nice and complete community.

Awoken Eyes likes this.
  5. zaCade

zaCade Member

Agree with pretty much everything. Only thing i'm not too fancy off is the VIP system. simple reason why. Giving them special grenade models ect will create extra entities wich is something i rather not do because too much entities is rip server (crash).

6. MrMuesli

MrMuesli Active Member

Too much entities :D --> Rip Sorrento/????/???? Xmas Version
    I don´t know how Unloze is solving that Source Engine problem.
    At first, Player Skins would already be enough.

7. pille322

pille322 Active Member

Basically what you're suggesting is: turn the server into a random server that lasts a month?

8. MrMuesli

MrMuesli Active Member

Just because players can get a few skins if the play a lot, doesnt mean the server will be dead.
    Unloze is currently growing with a great VIP System...
    --->Your concern doesn´t make any sense at all.

9. MubbelUffel

We're still talking with i3D (Ramon) and are waiting for answers if they still want us around. BUT we're currently making up plans to if we move out. Nightshadow told Ramon that he has until 01/01 - 16 to answer our questions otherwise we move out!

About the console messages.. I don't know what we're waiting for?
    We have idea about a new HUD for console messages but someone said that we needed to update our Linux system first, which is something I can't do.

10. William! :D

William! :D New Member

Hey, so I was just wondering if there could be a reconsideration regarding the Harry Potter map. It is after all a highly demanded map. I do realie a good team with admins is needed and that the map may not be functioning correctly but could we arrange a compensation or something? A way to play it a bit more often. Say once a week on a set time for instance so that everyone who wants to play can join then?

11. MubbelUffel

Normally during weekends (fri-sun) after 6pm we nominate those kind of maps. Harry, Minas etc.
    That's because we need a good team, alot of players and usually a couple of admins.

12. Tinuva

Tinuva Tin Win

Some real civilized discussion going on here by some when people disagree with each other!
    So who wants to buy rotten eggs to throw at people whom they disagree with?

MubbelUffel, TexasDolly and bakalhau like this.
  13. Angel

Angel 4Head enthusiast Gameserver Admin

It is sad to see the player base slowly declining but it is better that these "conversations" happen now instead of when there is 5 people on the server at peak times. After reading everything it's pretty stupid what it came from but things do need to change.

With what little I can do the one thing that grinds my gears is admins that take it for granted. I mean, I don't want to offend anyone here but with 5 minutes research I can see that -

ŤΞΣ | VivianChan SNSD<333 - 30 Total posts on the forums since becoming admin in July 2014

Sanynl was last seen: Oct 24, 2015

neilzer was last seen: Nov 20, 2015

CortezE was last seen: Nov 18, 2015 - 18 Total posts on the forums since becoming admin in Jan 2014

Colt .45 was last seen: Oct 11, 2015 - 31 Total posts on the forums since becoming admin in Oct 2014

Isn't | Feejp was last seen: Sep 21, 2015

Soliid - 14 Total posts on the forums

Dino - 5 Total posts on the forums

SnowFlake was last seen - Aug 20, 2015

They are listed as admins on http://forum.i3d.net/threads/cs-s-community-admins-forum-names-steam-names-in-game-names.158642/

Obviously I don't know if these guys have posted that they are AFK in the admin forum but come on. If you care in any way about the community, we live in 2015 and getting on the internet to browse a simple forum and post is not hard and averaging just over one post a month is joke. I mean anyone can join the admin team and fuck around kicking the odd idiot and slapping your friends..It's about interacting with the community and voicing your opinions, not just saying hello and goodbye every time you join and leave the server...

P.S I haven't been admin for quite some time and tried to remove that tag a few times now and couldn't find it

14. TexasDolly

TexasDolly i3D.net Gameserver admin Gameserver Admin

Sany, feejp arent admins anymore.

All the others dont make use of the forums often. As long as this doesnt give a problem, im fine with it.

And you cant remove your tag. It has to be done by i3d staff. This will take ages so we decided to move our admin forum out. We also moved the server and the admin team is paying alot every month to keep the servers running.

15. CaptainCrackSparrow

CaptainCrackSparrow Member

Depends how you manage it, it could lead to people just AFKing in server. Then if the way to resolve that would to be to kick AFKs via Admins, it honestly would eventually turn more people against admins in the long term, once there is zero trust in the admin team the server loses everything from community to players.
    It's a nice idea though. Had a similar one myself (will post below).

The idea of having the community voting on getting rid of admins is quite frankly ludicrous giving power to a community who would turn it into a "popularity contest" and "revenge against a said specific person" would leave the server in a bad place, not only would you have small groups of people banding together eventually you would create a massive toxic atmosphere where people non stop bitch about one another, the server would die so fast.

Not sure if this is viable in CSS but when i was apart of the WNx (warriornation.net) staff a long long long time ago, in Call of Duty 2 we developed a console option that (similar to VIP skins) would permanently change the colour code of Text for each person based on longevity in server. (wasn't necessarily based on playing time) but server time. It helped keep our COD 2 servers running for a very long time as old school players and new players alike were appeased. People could know and differentiate between the old timers of the game and the more newer members, therefore if a newer player didn't understand as much people were more inclined to help them than berate them.

I.E.

New Member > Light Blue Text > 1 - 3 months
    Accomplished Member > Dark Blue Text > 3 - 6 months
    Veteran Member > Purple Text > 6 - 12 months
    Supreme Member > Orange Text > 12 - 24 months
    Old School Member > Brown Text > 24 months+
    Admins + Staff > Red Text > (any current serving admin or staff)
    Retired > Pink Text > (any previous staff or admin who had left the game for one reason or another, but maybe come on once in a blue moon, to thank them for their past contributions)

RazorkillerC likes this.
  16. MubbelUffel

It's a nice idea. I, myself, like the idea of "rewarding" old players but this will just make the chat unreadable.
    I've seen it on a few servers and it makes my head feel dizzy, way to many colors.

17. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

*Looks at updated admin roster*
    About 5 of them replied in here, trying to be a part of a discussion about a very serious problem. So where's the rest of your 20 men admin team?
    But then again, you're the admin with this attitude:

18. bird is the word

bird is the word Active Member

The problem with your statement is that letting EVERY admin participate in this discussion also would mean it could derail waaaaaay faster.
    Having a couple of admins speak for the whole admin team, is IMO better, it makes this thread stay organised.

19. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

Right, so you sacrifice the opinions of others in benefit of you own? I want your admins to have a voice, and not be treated like children and have people speak for them.

20. MubbelUffel

Can we just drop it now? No need to put more wood into the fire.
    I've told you what the problem and solution is.

We're having a meeting tonight and hopefully we will be able to update the community about what's going to happen or will happen in the future.

Xeongame10 likes this.