Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Counter Strike Source & Zombie gameservers' started by Rob^, Dec 15, 2010.

1. bakalhau

bakalhau Active Member

I actually love this idea, people would get more active because of their fancy color in chat and some skins, I really like this idea.

2. RazorkillerC

RazorkillerC i3D.net Gameserver admin Gameserver Admin

Im fine with adding dif colors for dif "levels" of players, but we have to find some that can be easily read and doesn't make everyones head hurt

3. Mad

Mad i eat penguins Moderator

If you stick to a palette of pastel colours, you tend to be able to get a lot of variety without anything being too offensive on the eye.

Exige, Xeongame10 and RazorkillerC like this.
  4. RITZ

RITZ i3D.net Gameserver admin Gameserver Admin

At this point you're just trying to start trouble, dont quote things out of contest, if you're not grown up enough to understand what chasin meant by that then you have no business quoting it and twisting it to make a point.

Xeongame10 likes this.
  5. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

Yeah, because you need context when an admin says: "The admin team doesn't need to do anything" and "that the only focus should be on 1 server". And if I didn't start all this "trouble", as you call it, this entire discussion would've never happened in the first place and you would still be happily walking down your destructive path.

6. bird is the word

bird is the word Active Member

We've had the admin meeting tonight, the results can be found here.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  7. Tabraz

Tabraz Active Member

stats.i3d.net is curently not functionating.

Could not connect to database server. Check that the values of DB_ADDR, DB_USER and DB_PASS in config.php are set correctly.

Server Error: (2013) Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system error: 111

Last SQL Query:

8. bakalhau

bakalhau Active Member

9. Poopmaister6000

Poopmaister6000 Maister of poop Gameserver Admin

I'm seeing a lot of good ideas here. I hope we get a new HA as active as Nightshadow was in the start who deal with all this.

Also, Awoken is giving a bad image of the admin team when he was active. I remember it like Awoken bringing up a lot of weird things and giving the same talking to walls-arguement when people disagreed with him. That's ancient history, I just don't want people to get the wrong idea about what a bunch of good people did for the community.

TexasDolly and Xeongame10 like this.
  10. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

There is a difference between disagreeing with me, and me trying to get the admin team to what what they were supposed to do. Don't tell me the admin team was doing great back then, because it really wasn't. I was trying to get the admins to support the other servers, to get them to the forums, getting them on IRC, etc.
    And lest you have forgotten, when I made threads and posts about things that mattered, I barely got any replies to them until I started acting like a complete dick. So who is really giving a bad image here?

When Beyond, JS and I stuck our necks out when we finally got the green light to get the old ZombieMod server back into shape, what did the admin team do? Exactly, ignored it. Because that cushion they were sitting on, on server #1 was too comfortable to give up on. Events were made, we advertised and asked the community for feedback. There was transparency to a certain degree.

Wanna talk about a bad image, having 75% of ZES being admin. Having to ban certain members of your clan who wouldn't behave. We even brought this forward to you and Fuu but nothing got done about it. Svifter kept breaking rules and getting banned with multiple accounts, GT and Proven ended up being perm banned on several accounts and the list goes on.

You can disagree with me all you want, but the fact remains that I was trying to make something of this community.

11. Nivv

Nivv Useless

The admin team needs more people with too much time on their hands...Awoken for admin!

12. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

If the question was genuine, and if you genuinely wanted my help (if only to get things back on track), I might be able to give you some of my time.
    But I'll rather take my chances at this being sarcastic, so I wish you all the best getting your new community all set up. You have the right tools, just not the right people with the right mind set.

Yes Nivv, since Nightshadow resigned, you're the senior in my eyes. But from what I heard, you will be leaving as well. Find that one guy that has vision and build the team around it. This also means you need to get rid of the overflow you have right now.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Nivv likes this.
  13. Poopmaister6000

Poopmaister6000 Maister of poop Gameserver Admin

I'm not denying that you did what you thought was right. This isn't worth arguing about since it happened a long time ago and obviously we see it differently. I'll respond to the clan thing as well since people can get the wrong idea.

Everyone in ZES is an individual. What we did was bring most of the best ZE players under the same umbrella. This lead to a camaraderie I enjoyed immensly and set a standard in ZE that hadn't exister before, which is extremely good for the community. That said, Fuu, bela, Svifter, Freeze and I have a very liberal approach as leaders. Our members can do whatever they felt like because they are very different individuals. We have members who are suitable admins and members who are fated to get permed as fuck. Setting a standard for behavior would ruin that.

Xeongame10 and Awoken Eyes like this.
  14. Teghal

Teghal Member

*Leaves his job and starts playing i3D 24/7*

bird is the word and Nivv like this.
  15. Erebus

Erebus Member

we want 24/7 bloody admin , with baguettes and the lostBloodyworldmap_ze .....................

and guys i read all this admin accusations and etc, and the only thing i can say is CHILL THE HELL OUT..... from my side of view admin team is soing its best, if someone thinks can assist wait for the new changes-put your ego on a toilet and flash it-dont forget its a game and its for fun ......................

Teghal likes this.
  16. pille322

pille322 Active Member

you're acting like night was a god, afaik it took him like 6months to reinstall a server, lmao

Awoken Eyes likes this.
  17. Chimera

Chimera Ghost of i3D Past Moderator

Not really sure of a good place to put this, I figure this thread is as good as any. Been thinking about how you'd restructure the infrastructure if you choose to part ways from i3D. Below is a brain dump of some stuff that would make a lot of your server management a breeze. All you'd need is the time to do the initial setup and then should be a breeze to do any expansions, add different games, etc.

As I say, this is just a brain dump of stuff that's been rattling around in my head and I thought to write it down incase any of the tech admins might like to try picking it up. I've tried to stay provider-agnostic although I've mentioned S3 as an example of object storage. Anyway, feel free to take it or leave it. I'm obviously available on the usual channels (PM, IRC, maybe Steam, etc.) if you'd like to chat about any of it.

------------------------

Docker containers, docker containers everywhere (docker container network)

Configs version controlled in git (GitLab)

ELK for logs:
    - should retain logs so servers can be raised and torn down without loss
    - Kibana publicly accessible? Sensitive log lines to be filtered out. Login required for admin logs

Jenkins to:
    - build gameserver docker images (looky, looky here https://hub.docker.com/r/foxylion/steam-css/)
    - restart servers
    - deploy config versions
    - update gameserver (base-image) versions

Docker registry to keep old versions of server images for quick rollback

Maps kept in bucket storage, e.g. S3 with nginx and varnish cache on the frontend for fastDL, mounted on server images rather than duplicated. Varnish/Nginx to redirect (.*\.bsp) to $1.bz2. Backend service to compress bsps that aren't already compressed?

Central LDAP for SSO? Can Sourcebans use LDAP?

Slack plugin to do server-server/server-admin comms?

-------------------

Infrastructure layout

Central server for shared services:
    - Forum
    - GitLab
    - Jenkins
    - SB
    - HLSX?
    - Docker + registry
    - ELK
    - Varnish + Nginx
    - SSO infront of admin-only services?

Object Storage for maps:
    - S3

Docker container network, container per gameserver

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    Nightshadow, el-, Xeongame10 and 3 others like this.
  18. el-

el- Active Member

I bet 90% is going like: wtf have I read?
    Leeroooooooy Jeeeeenkins!

fyi: I do know this stuff.. I use it at work all the time, but I would never have thought about using Jenkins and Docker for this stuff.
    [​IMG]

19. Daedra

Daedra Active Member

Reading this as a complete virgin in pc language is mindblowing.

Xeongame10 and M 4 R T 1 N like this.
  20. - JS.

- JS. 006