[English] The Official Spam Thread: Talk about EVERYTHING :D

Discussion in 'Counter Strike Source & Zombie gameservers' started by aquaphun, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Chimera

Chimera Ghost of i3D Past Moderator

What an incredibly naïve world view.

With an independent dev, the income of the developers is directly linked to sales of the software, piracy is incredibly damaging as it's likely their only source of income. With big companies, that's really not the case. Microsoft, for instance makes the majority of its money from the enterprise market shifting huge quantities of Windows and Office licences, plus the Windows licences for OEM pre-installations on new PCs. Rather than being linked to sales, developers are paid a salary, which is constant (but increasing year-on-year with performance reviews). Consumer sales increase profits, which go into dividends for shareholders, bonuses for employees (size of bonus is dependant on performance for lower-ranking employees, and seniority for higher-ranking employees) and absolutely moronic huge purchases like the multi-$billion deals for Skype and Mojang. Sales do not impact design decisions or development quality, those are determined by feedback and deadlines respectively.

In terms of piracy, Microsoft and Adobe aren't all that fussed about consumers, particularly young consumers, pirating their software as it means that consumer will learn that software and only that software, be locked into that software's ecosystem, and then when that consumer goes into the enterprise space, the company can pay for the license and Adobe/Microsoft get's the big payout.

As for quality, Windows isn't exactly the most stable or usable OS around, but it has a stranglehold on the market because most consumer-bought PCs ship with it. The next most popular alternative is a lot more expensive than the mass market is willing to pay and the free alternatives tend to require a much higher technical literacy.

You've also got the cycle of:
    - people know how to use Windows
    - a company will use only Windows (in order to keep the cost of IT Support as low as possible)
    - parents use Windows at work, they're likely to also use Windows at home
    - therefore their kids are also likely to use Windows
    - kids grow up and go to work
    - repeat

I'm all for supporting developers (being one myself), but forgive me for being a little more apathetic towards the big corporations. Wow, that was quite the rant, oh well...

Kale Aap, Xeongame10 and Awoken Eyes like this.
  2. CaptainCrackSparrow

CaptainCrackSparrow Member

Google settled to pay 130m pounds in taxes in the UK. I think someone at HMRC caught them. Lucky they were only stung for 130m probably should be alot more but as usual big corps, bring in jobs so lets accept the scraps. The world bends over.

3. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

You and I should write a book together and use the concept below for publishing.

how ea_zpsvkcvg3lz.jpg

Nivv, Quincy1 and Chimera like this.
  4. Quincy1

Quincy1 Member

this is why i never pay for any dlc

5. Poopmaister6000

Poopmaister6000 Maister of poop Gameserver Admin

It being less harmfull doesn't make it right. I understand how salaries work. If microsoft gets money, they can do more stuff. Purchasing Skype and Mojang being perfect examples. Even if it doesn't directly impact design decisions directly, it helps Microsoft overall, which is enough reason to not resort to piracy.

You're the one who interpeted what I wrote naively. It can also mean that Microsoft can set higher standards for who they employ by increasing salaries, acquire smaller corperations to work with and much more. My argument applies to all software, not just indy developers because they directly get more money-

6. pille322

pille322 Active Member

try again

Awoken Eyes likes this.
  7. Daedra

Daedra Active Member

8. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but piracy actually boosts sales.

I know you don't want to believe this. Sadly though, you will have to, because it's a fact.

9. Poopmaister6000

Poopmaister6000 Maister of poop Gameserver Admin

Even if that were true, boosting sales does not make it morally correct to use someone's software when they don't want you to.

10. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

I'm not going to try and change your beliefs. I rather pirate my stuff and if I consider it to be good enough, I'll buy it.

11. SS-Doomtrooper

SS-Doomtrooper UK sockets suck

Hi, how many movies did you download

12. Quincy1

Quincy1 Member

i'll admit that i since i've had netflix i have watched more pirated movies than i have ever done simply casue netflix didnt have the films i wanted or not the complete series (only had Potc 2&4 not 1&3 dafuq)

RITZ, Yarizuo and bird is the word like this.
  13. bird is the word

bird is the word Active Member

Yep, the way distributors of movies work with licencing of material is disgusting.

14. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

15. Tabraz

Tabraz Active Member

Oh it is shitty. Lot of viruses, glitches, but regardless. To answer the quesiton why not use free software , is simple. Like I mentioned before, almost everything operates under windows. Of course there are ways to solve compatibility problems , but not worth the time.

16. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

wat

17. pille322

pille322 Active Member

I'm getting suicidal thoughts every time I visit this website, thanks

18. Awoken Eyes

Awoken Eyes KIA

Tell us more.

19. Tabraz

Tabraz Active Member

Make those thoughts real, and you won't have any thoughts or problems anymore.

RITZ, bird is the word and Nivv like this.
  20. pille322

pille322 Active Member

no ty