Area 51 crashes by Graphic Card Glitch?

Discussion in 'Clientside Technical support' started by gntlben, Jan 11, 2011.

1. gntlben

gntlben New Member

Hi

I just discovered this site, and let me say it's awesome. I've successfully played several games here, but Area 51 is the one I'm most interested in. I have a brand spanking new 1 GB graphic card, but for some reason Area 51 is causing a crash. Any thoughts?

2. Suavemente1974

Suavemente1974 Dirty Harry Moderator

I made a new topic for you, because that's more clearer and easier. But what for error are you getting, what does it say? And what for pc specifications do you have?

3. gntlben

gntlben New Member

Thanks. Sorry I put it in the wrong spot. =/

The game generally just sticks in the introduction where you are first learning to shoot your pistol. It will hang and just stay there for several minutes. Sometimes it will stutter slightly as if it's trying to move. Then my computer will crash down to the ultra low color setting with 800x600 resolution. I get an error saying I may have a graphic card issue.

However, I know I have no graphic card issue because it's brand new and can run newer games easily.

My computer specs are:
    3.0 Ghz Hyper Thread Processor
    4 GB Ram
    100 Gig Hard drive
    1 GB ATI Radeon 4600HD Graphic Card
    Windows XP SP 3
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card

Thanks!

4. Suavemente1974

No problem. ;)
    Did you install the patch also, maybe that will help with your problem. I found this patch right here.

5. gntlben

gntlben New Member

I installed that patch already, yes. It still doesn't seem to be working though. Is it because this is a free download? Could my card be too new?

I hope I can fix this. This game looks so sweet.

6. Suavemente1974

That's a possibility that your drivers are to new, is there with the free game also drivers like PhysX? If so delete that PhysX from your pc and juse the PhysX that's with the free game.

7. gntlben

gntlben New Member

No PhysX. I'm thinking maybe installing some older omega drivers would do the trick? Not sure.

8. Suavemente1974

Well i don't know if your graphic card has so old drivers that you can download it, because maybe your card was made after the game came out. But you can give it a try. And maybe i found a solution for you.

1: Click start, run, dxdiag, and press enter. If it asks you to scan for WHQL say YES.
    2: Click on the more information tab, and then choose override refresh rate.
    3: Choose a custom value of 60 and get out of there.
    4: Now the game should work.

9. gntlben

gntlben New Member

Hey, thanks for all your help. I tried what you said and it didn't work. The only thing I can think of is that my graphics card is just too new, which makes no sense. But there you go.

Anyway, thanks for all the help you've given me. I really appreciate it. I may have to just call this one a day. =/

10. Suavemente1974

No problem, i think i found something. It could work, but i really don't know for sure. ;)

11. gntlben

gntlben New Member

It didn't work. =/ The crash info I get is for the graphics card, but it seems to happen after a set amount of time. I paused the game for a minute and when I got back, I was locked up. I think maybe it's just not going to work for me. One of those weird bugs. =/

It's the only one from this site that hasn't worked though! So that's awesome.

12. Suavemente1974

To bad, well i found another patch, and this is the first one. Maybe uninstall the game and patch then reboot. Then install the game again, then the first patch, and then the second patch. Hopefully it will work.

Patch 1.

Patch 2.

13. buttboy1978

buttboy1978 New Member

OMG!!!

This is my EXACT problem! And his computer specs are nearly exactly like mine.

Area 51 starts up fine, goes through the intro, and then just moments after you receive your handgun, everything stops, and I am stuck like that for several minutes, and then back to the desktop, which is now at some outlandishly small resolution. And also, my video card isnt working after that happens. My system doesnt see it anymore. So I have to restart.

WTH?

This is a strange problem that I've never had before in any game.

I am running XP Pro, SP3
    P4 3.0
    1GB ATI Radeon HD 4670 AGP
    2GB RAM

Thanks very much to those who offered assistance already, which unfortunately havent worked for the OP. And since we have nearly identical systems, might not work for me either. But it never hurts to try.

As we all have found out, sometimes the answer is incredibly simple, and it's overlooked while doing complicated troubleshooting.

Once...An extremely wise and experienced guy helped me for nearly a week, trying to get to the cause of my crashes. We tweaked/checked EVERYTHING, voltages, bios, things I'd never even heard of before. And in the end...I figured it out myself....the power cable had come loose on my DVD burner. LOLZ! Sometimes, the Forrest/trees analogy is true.

Hopefully there are more of us who are having these same exact symptoms with Area 51.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

14. buttboy1978

buttboy1978 New Member

Forgot something....dont know if this might help or not.

When I first started the game, immediately after the install, I couldnt do anything! I only saw a tiny portion of the menu, and it was running at some resolution which prevented me from seeing enough to navigate through the menu. But after several dozen attempts at randomly hitting buttons, hoping that I'd get into the screen-size menu, I eventually did it. Sadly, I cant remember many more details after that, since I am semi-retarded. I assume I set it to 1600x1200.

Anyway, the rest is history. The game started, then froze and crashed, ect.

HELP!

15. Suavemente1974

Well i think i have found finally the answer for the both of your problems. ;)
    I see that both of you have an ATI card, and here i found a patch for it. I hopes it will work for you guys.
    Just let me know. :)

ATI Catalyst v5.8 for Windows XP

16. buttboy1978

buttboy1978 New Member

Hi,
    thanks very much! I thought I already had the most current Catalyst installed, but perhaps I dont. I'll try it and report back soon.

Incidentally, for those kiddies/noobs who might be reading this thread, remember one thing above all else:

ATI SUCKS!

The number of problems that many of us have had with ATI drivers and that idiotic Catalyst. ATI cards might be good, but their drivers suck now, sucked in the past, and there isnt much to make me think they'll stop sucking in the future. My next card will absolutely NOT be ATI, now that it's time to finally upgrade to a current computer.

And if you happen to be like me, running an older computer with an ATI card and are soon going to upgrade. Please save the old card after your upgrade so you can torture it endlessly over the next few weeks. I suggest putting it into a public restroom toilet. Or perhaps dragging it behind your car attached to a chain.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011
  17. BR3MER

BR3MER New Member

Crash

Hey i have a problem as well but the game doesnt open up properly,i mean that when i open it an error pops up saying:This item has stopped working or something.

Maybe is that happening coz i have windows 7?

18. Suavemente1974

Wel that's possible have you tried the above solutions for your problem? You can also check the quote below with a solution.