Ideas or concepts for new maps.

Discussion in 'Maps & Suggestions' started by Deeway, May 22, 2008.

1. Deeway

Deeway CS:S community manager

If you have any ideas or concepts for new maps, you can post them in this thread.

N.B : Topic suggested by Grace Kelly here.

Post your ideas now!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
  2. Westsid3r

Westsid3r RickJames b//ch

Yeah please post some, my head is always empty of ideas

3. SugarDonut

SugarDonut Dunkin' Kreme

Not really my idea, but a player suggested an idea for a ZE map to me the other day, which was a Titanic escape map.

You all know about the ship and its story, right?

Well the idea was that you spawn at the bottom deck of the ship, which has just hit the iceberg, so water is slowly filling up the ship - you could make the water slightly poisonous, to show the coldness. You have to make your way up to the top deck, going through gates, lifts, etc. There will be traps along the way - since the ship has crashed, there might be water flowing the other way to slow down the humans, the engine room might be exploding, etc.

Once you're up at the top level, you have to secure the lifeboats until a certain time is reached and then you can escape.

So far, it's quite simple because I haven't given much thought into it :/ Hope somebody has a few more good ideas to add and wants to turn this into a map some day lol

But I have a few other ideas for escape maps, so I'll be posting them after I think them through!

Glad that I finally have the opportunity to contribute into map making as well :biggrin:

4. Westsid3r

There is alredy a map out like this. But it has bad gameplay and texture

5. SugarDonut

SugarDonut Dunkin' Kreme

One idea down, plenty to go! xD

How about a Rats map combined with ZE?

You know what they are, right? Where the map is like a normal room in a normal house or something, except that it's huge in proportion to the players.

Well, the idea is that the players are rats and they must escape the house before the pest control guys get there and kills everyone.

Maybe you could have more than one way of escaping - like through a window, through the sewers or even through the cat flap lol

You could have the usual difficulties of a rats map - the heights, household objects that kill, "human intervention" - like a huge model of a human lying on a bed that kills u if u touch it or something like that.

Boring idea? It's been done before? Probably, but I think it might work if it has some decent work done into it :D

6. JohnnyB

JohnnyB For the LULZ! Moderator

One Idea I've had since I started playing escape maps...

The Hive from the resident evil movie.. I haven't thought much about the specific details, but it could go like this;

You spawn in a normal looking lab(s) (maybe multiple spawn rooms, so its not crowded) and an alarm sounds because there has been an outbreak (T-Virus) all the exits and such have been locked down.

So, your job is to make it to the core room (The Red Queen) by bypassing door locks and stuff, maybe a few vents you can pass through and alternate routes.

Once you reach the core, you can turn off the locks for the main escape door. Your job now is to make it to the train (by going through sewer tunnels you enter using vents from the Core room) and start the train. After a short train ride you reach the station located under the mansion, and you make your way to the large escape door..

Once you press the button, you have to defend the area for say a minute or so until the door opens. After the door is open, it will automatically close again after another minute and toxic gas will then be released into The Hive (killing any one left in there)..

The End!

7. Westsid3r

Both ideas sound nice, maybe you should both start mapping xD

8. JohnnyB

JohnnyB For the LULZ! Moderator

Well, I've mapped before for 1.6, and I always find myself getting bored after about 10 minutes in hammer.. So if I tried doing my idea, it would probably take me a long time to complete!

9. Skael

Skael Banned

There is a map such as that for ZombieMaster. =D

10. Snowy

Snowy New Member

Love the ideas :)

11. Westsid3r

Take your time!

12. RogerGargantua

RogerGargantua GARGANTUA

I have plenty of ideas...most of time I actually cant make up which map to make first :biggrin:
    Most ideas I keep em for myself....since I map alot.

But here's an idea that I once thought up. But I lost interest and didnt want to build it anymore. Perhaps you do if you read it and like it.

map name : ze_ARC_escape

Map experience needed for this idea: This map should be suited for beginning mappers as experienced mappers since rooms and facility stuff aren't hard to make. The 3dskybox and moving vehicles are bit harder for beginners. But since this is my idea, i'm more willingly to help out when needed.

ARC - Alien Research Center

Background story:
    The map will start at a underground government research facility. Very secretive Alien autopsys and test were done here ( think of Area51 style ) after a UFO crashed. The scientists didnt expect that an alien virus would break out....turning the humans into crazy psychopathic monsters ( zombies ). The virus is contagious too. You and the rest of military team tried to stop it but failed. Make your way out of the facility and get to the surface.
    There's a traindepot outside which was used for supplies. Use it to escape.....

Ideas:
    1) you can create a real spooky facility --> place corpses and blood decals. Lights that have these flicker options on them. Broken machines , etc.

Think of HL1 when you use the portal machine for first time as Gordon Freeman at the very beginning of the game. The facility has gone red-alert then and lots of broken tools/computers/lights. Its awesome! :D

2) Create a room with the actual crashed UFO in it. Make sure it looks unique and not like this common dish shapes you see on Discovery Channel :p. Perhaps you can make an alternative route out of this UFO...like you can get it back to work and fly away with it?

3) Create wicked and bizarre test rooms/chambers where experiments were done on Aliens. Create a room with lasers for example which you can turn on and off. This sorta rooms could server for nice trap rooms ;)

4) escape vehicle is the train which is on the surface. When you reach surface its the first you get into outdoor area. Imo it should be nighttime and it should be raining to make more scary and creepy impact.
    The trainstation should be close to the facility with forests and mountains ( create a 3dskybox ) surrounding it. Its defend place could be a lot of stacked crates since the function of trainstation is an actually supply depot.

That was my idea about this map. I'm sure it could work out great if I would make it....but I've lost interest.....for now .... if your interested let me know first plz.

- GARGANTUA

13. Genesis

Genesis New Member

1- some one saw resident evil 3 ? I think it would be a great idea for an escape.

2- some one saw return of the living dead 4 ? also its a good for escape.

14. xensey

xensey Водка, медведи

What about some war-theme map?

Conflict between two countries, and you're exactly in a frontline. After unsuccessful attempts to storm one of the side use biological weapon, turning everyone to zombies. Surviors need to call artillery or carpet bombing and escape from filled with gas area.
    The gameplay may be divided in 2 parts:
    -Battlefield, full of
    barbed wire, minefields, trenches, catacombs, blowed up tanks and APC's, tracers
    -Ruins of village, destroyed buildings, barricades, burned cars and so on.

Escape zone can be destroyed trainstation in city; helicopter on battlefield; shelter in city.

15. RogerGargantua

RogerGargantua GARGANTUA

Sounds good to me! Why dont u make it? Ur an excellent mapper

16. 5unz

5unz Bonderful

Agreed this does sound like a good idea, plenty of sources for images to get ideas about landscape etc.

17. Eastsider

Eastsider New Member

Yeah, Gargantua is right. you are an excellent mapper.
    Idea sounds great.. So Make it!! :lol:

18. xensey

xensey Водка, медведи

Well, if I'll found good model source (like you saw in CoD4 over Chernobyl or in STALKER) maybe then I will do it :p

19. SugarDonut

SugarDonut Dunkin' Kreme

Xensey that is an awesome idea!

You could have Ts and CTs starting on different sides of the frontline and coming together to escape together, therefore promoting peace :D:D:D

20. Westsid3r

With lots of tanks and bunkers! Medal of honor style!