[English] ze_sorrento_escape Graphical/Gameplay Update 2015

Discussion in 'Maps & Suggestions' started by MrMuesli, Oct 5, 2015.

1. MrMuesli

MrMuesli Active Member

Background Story

Long story in a few scentences:

Since I love Oldschool maps like Atix, Sorrento, Rooftop Boatescape , I decided to update them one after one.
    From a graphical viewpoint they all look really bad and also have a lot of gameplay problems like awful balancing or bugs/glitches.
    Map layout will always be the same. There will be some minor gameplay changes, to balance the map properly.

Sorrento Update:

Biggest Changes:
    - New Textures
    - New Light-Effects
    - New Weather-System (sunny or thunderstorm)
    - Various Other Graphical Updates
    - Balance Changes Bug/Glitch Fixes

The map is already on the I3D testserver. Nightshadow and Metro are busy. Zuff is unattainable...
    I am looking for an admin/help:
    - Need a map-change on the testserver so i can playtest the map
    - Need an admin , who got time to playtest it and possibly add it to the #1 ze server as soon as possible(if there are no problems with the map)

a few screenshots(will add more beautiful and detailed ones, if the map is completely finished)
    sorrento_1.jpg sorrento_2.jpg
    sorrento_5.jpg sorrento_6.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. Nymphali

Nymphali Member

Nice work

MrMuesli likes this.
  3. Tabraz

Tabraz Active Member

Gosh. It's a nice thing that you update the graphics of the map but for fuck's sake why you touch the map when you don't have permission from the creator ? Look, Those maps are perfect as they are, I mean if you wanna change the graphics go on it is awesome, but do not change anything except the graphics.

RazorkillerC likes this.
  4. M 4 R T 1 N

M 4 R T 1 N Member

If I remember correctly Metro let us try it about two weeks ago and a lot of the players (myself included) found the graphical-changes outstanding and the balancing of the map, such as zombie boat, to be appropriate, due to how ct-sided sorrento currently is with a decent team. I am definitely for it to be added.

bird is the word and RITZ like this.
  5. TexasDolly

TexasDolly i3D.net Gameserver admin Gameserver Admin

If the map is good, then ofcourse it will be added. Looks really nice though. I wonder how the balance and gameplay is.

MrMuesli and RITZ like this.
  6. Nymphali

Nymphali Member

How could someone get permission from a mapper gone since 5 year ?

I made a fix of sorrento (glitch nuke), without permission from the mapper, is that bad ? (the current v5 on the server is my fix)

bird is the word likes this.
  7. MrMuesli

MrMuesli Active Member

I can undertstand your concerns, but the map is just unbalanced. The 3rd sewer way is completely useless, because the 2nd middle way is too fast. Also the Secret Boat place is a complete gameplay joke. If the CT`s access the boat and get to the "Sea house", zombies have no chance to fight them. The results are boring rounds and frustrating gameplay, which will lead to more verbal abuse and flame...
    The small changes I made, wont change the oldschool Sorrento feeling too much. They will just adapt the map to ~50 experienced ze players.

Yeah I would like to talk with him :(. His level design skills are insane. What was the nuke glitch about?

Thx, I am glad you like it. Just need some time to test it. Probably also a few more experienced ze players/mappers.
    Can´t find the test server anymore :(

Thats was an early, pretty bugged and not optimized version. A lot has changed since then. If you liked the new gaphics back then, you gonna love the final ones :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    M 4 R T 1 N likes this.
  8. SmallJumP

SmallJumP Well-Known Member

We played it like 2 weeks ago and it was a complete mess , all the players connected didn't liked the map at all, sorry man you probably put alot of effort into this new sorrento but please don't add it for god sake

Tabraz likes this.
  9. MrMuesli

MrMuesli Active Member

What were the problems?

10. Slartibartifast

Slartibartifast Pounding Senses Gameserver Admin

Best Answer
    Sorrento is a map that is loved by a lot of the old school players. It was made 7(!!) years ago, and it still remains one of the most popular maps in zombie escape. Think about that. I think making gameplay changes to such a classic map as this is a really bad idea. I agree with you, that it does seem rather unbalanced, and some of the routes are strangely placed, but you could say the same for a lot of Gargantua's maps (licciania, the rooftop and so on). Those flaws if you want to call them that are honestly part of the charm with the maps, and personally I love how they are played.

Fixing up on the graphics is ok I guess. But really, I don't see any reason to make fixes on the gameplay. There was another guy who tried to do the same, and it didn't take long for that version to get removed. Honestly I think it's kinda lame doing changes to such a huge classic, that is in no way broken, even though it might have flaws in - your - opinion.

11. SmallJumP

SmallJumP Well-Known Member

The map is already kinda zombie sided, the second "secret" boat for zombies just made the map 100% zombie sided, and what Slarti said is so true and really well said. Please don't touch those classics. Fixing a game breaking glitch like on the spacestation maps yeah ofc I would love that so it can be played again, but don't touch a map who is running smoothly for years with only minor glitches who are what made that map unique.

12. M 4 R T 1 N

M 4 R T 1 N Member

We just tested the newest version on s01 and I am not a fan due to some of layout changes that removes interesting parts that sorrento has in v5. Also the rain made my fps half from 100 to 50.

13. MrMuesli

MrMuesli Active Member

Ok I dont know what to do now...
    I know a lot of friends, who stopped playing old ze maps like licciana and sorrento because of their bad balancing. On the other side you guys dont like the new ze boat :/
    For example Licciana:
    Nearly every round ~90% are zombies. Less experienced players will never reach the end. Thats fustrating. Also the end is just boring for ~90% of the players.
    Same with Sorrento:
    Sorrento is broken. If the secret boat way survives, they are invulnerable for the end of the round. Thats just boring and unhealthy gameplay. I love the charm of the map. But being invulnerable for the rest of the round is just boring for Zombies and has nothing to do with charm. There is no way u can reach the final boats anyway if you are the last few secret boat camper...
    Also I never changed anything on the layout besides the ze boat.
    If you get to the secret boat and make it to the sea house, u got at least 60 sec until the zombies have a CHANCE to infect you with the new ze boat.
    I also changed the crates a little bit, so you can better defend against Zombies on Gate 1 and 2...

14. M 4 R T 1 N

M 4 R T 1 N Member

You did though. I spotted 5 changes you did that I disliked (excluding zombie boat). I don't have any screenies to show where those changes were made, but I'd gladly show you them tomorrow or so.

15. Xeongame10

Xeongame10 Metro i3D

map looking good keep up the good work ;)

16. Tabraz

Tabraz Active Member

Oh you sure ? Then you must be new to zombie escape ! Mostly not a lot of people make it to that house up there, but sometimes many reach it, still in both occasions humans have a really hard job defending against those zombies because basically they just have to jump over a box and they are in, and the inside box is impossible to defend with the i3d team.Your argument is invalid.Go play and learn.Also read carefully what Slarti said ! He got it totally, ageless classics must remain untouched.

17. bird is the word

bird is the word Active Member

Come on guys.. Dont flame him completely, IMO he did a good job.

I don't care that it's a remake of a "classic", the "classic" map is there AND you can still play that map!
    This doesn't have to be a complete replacement of the old map, it's just an additional map.
    I played this map a few weeks ago and I liked it. Looking forward to the other updates! :D

18. MrMuesli

MrMuesli Active Member

Pretty good job flaming me for no reason, thx mate :)

I changed the crates on gate 1, so CT`s have a chance to defend. Most guys reach the Top Sea house, because they just get on the secret boat from the beginning or just jump on it from gate 1.

Currently: you just sit on the top sea house(~70% of CT´s invulnerable) or you sit on the normal crates and shoot one zombie after another in the sea.
    - "Funny" gameplay for zombies
    - really "hard" for humans
    - until there are 20 of them on the same place, they dont stay a chance

If the players would just stop camping on the top sea house, they could easily hold the normal crates...even vs 20 Zombies

You should probably go right now and nominate sorrento_escape_v5 so you can "learn"

RITZ likes this.
  19. TexasDolly

TexasDolly i3D.net Gameserver admin Gameserver Admin

exactly, no need to flame, because its an old map. We wont ever remove the old sorronto, maybe add this one for variance, depends how it is.

RITZ likes this.
  20. Ghostchief

Ghostchief The Great

I think u did a great job on the look of the map. It certainly is way more appealing for the eye and these changes should definetly be kept. As for the gameplay changes most of them are fine except for the zombieboat (maybe) it's a gamechanging factor for the zombies which gets them one more big oppertunity to kill the human who took the secret boat to go up there. For me personally i dont have anything against it since then the humans on the roof have actually something to do instead of just waiting 90s for the boat. But that is just my opinion and i doubt u can do anything against these heavy nostalgia arguments ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Qlimax. and MrMuesli like this.